Friday, April 17, 2009

Happy Birthday

My dad and mom's birthdays are a day apart. April 15 & 16. This year mom asked for memories for her birthday, so we did the same for dad too. My sister, the writer, wrote almost 4 pages of mini memories. I jotted 5-6 little memories on a card.

Dad--
My dad used to wake us up to change water by blasting The Little Mermaid soundtrack. It worked, but it was a little crazy. I guess it was better than pounding on the door.

He would take us to the mall at Christmas time, give us a little $, and let us get each other presents. Sometimes he would take us to the late might Grigg's sale before Christmas. The last one I remember vividly was when the original Nintendo was brand new. That was a while ago.

He liked to give us tasks that we had to figure out. I think he helped me learn how to think and problem solve as much as any of my classes pre-college.

We'd listen to different musicall the time--Fiddler on the roof, Les Mis, Disney movies, 50's music, Carpenters, Glenn Campbell, Beatles--He made a Dave's faves CD and gave us all a copy a few years back. Sometimes we would crank the music and have a dance party. He has some good moves.

We would go for walks around town on Sunday afternoons.

He told me I had to disc a field when I had never driven a tractor. He showed me once and then left me to it. I had my walkman and listened to a "mixtape" while I drove and killed the tractor several times. By the end, I could drive the tractor without it dying.

My dad took me to college and got me settled in. It was nice to have his support when I went to school. I remember he helped me make my bed.

Mom--

There are so many people that come up to me and say, "I just love your mom." So many.

She is always helping people and she doesn't expect anything in return.

She was there for both births and recoveries of my babies. She even flew to CA an extra time to help a month after the first baby was born.

If I ever need to chat, she is always there to listen.

I loved having her as the YW president when I was in there.

She has a great laugh.

She used to love fuschia. I love how she looked in it too. I used to sneak into the bathroom and try on her hot pink lip stick.

There are many great things my parents taught me and they have set many good examples for me too. Happy birthday Mom and Dad!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw your comment on my blog...and wondered if you're a long, lost friend or just a friend I haven't met yet?! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you out! I sure miss you, my old BYU friend. Yes, we found the perfect place...with plenty room for YOU to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He [Dad] has some good moves."
    Haha! True enough.
    "She [Mom] is always helping people and she doesn't expect anything in return."
    Even more true!

    ReplyDelete