Friday, March 12, 2010

Diamond Head Crater

at the top
the crater

We didn't go workout before we did our Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head Crater excursion. We didn't go on purpose because we knew we'd be doing a lot of walking and that it would make up for not exercising. On our way to the Crater, he asked me if I wanted to race. Of course, I said no, but he raced me anyway.

The trail starts at this little parking lot with a shaved ice truck and some musical bathrooms. For some reason it was really funny to have Hawaiian music playing in a rest area bathroom. A sign tells you to make sure you have sunscreen, water, and good shoes. I think I saw more people doing this hike in flip flops than tennis shoes. The first part of the trail was a cement sidewalk, then it turned to dirt, then it started switching back on some rock, then some big stairs, then a narrow tunnel, then a set of spiral stairs, then climbing through a hole, then more switchbacks, stairs, and an overlook platform.


It really was a good hike. The book we had said it should take 1.5 hours--up, viewing, down. We did it in 40 minutes. Actually, I did it in 40 minutes. Mr. probably did it in 35. The view was beautiful. I thought we had some good shots, but we really only had 2 okay ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment